Welcome to Today’s Current Affairs. This current affair news is useful for Govt jobs Interviews, TNPSC, IAS, UPSC, SSC, Railway, Banking exams IBPS, PO, SO, Clerk, and other all competitive exams for the entire part of the general awareness or general knowledge (GK) section. These daily current affairs 2020 resources provide facts about events of International, National, Political, Social, Banking, Business, Sports, and Entertainment related current affairs.
Latest Govt Jobs CLICK HERE
NATIONAL PICK STRAWBERRIES DAY – On this day 20th, National Pick Strawberries Day encourages us to pick some strawberries. Right about this time of year, they start coming into the season. And there is just something special about the taste of a sun-warmed strawberry picked straight off of the vine.
NATIONAL BE A MILLIONAIRE DAY – National Be a Millionaire Day on May 20th each year celebrates the idea of being a millionaire. If you happen to be one of the few, this holiday is for you. And also for those of us who like to imagine spending millions.
Top One Line Current Affairs Headlines
- Ambikapur (Chhattisgarh), Rajkot, Surat, Mysore, Indore, and Navi Mumbai declared as ‘5-star garbage-free cities’ by the Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry for the assessment year 2019-2020.
- Globally, a number of coronavirus cases touch 48.93 lakh while the death toll stands at 3.22 lakh.
Kolkata airport closed, cargo flight operations suspended due to Cyclone Amphan.
- India’s total COVID-19 cases rose to 1,06,750 with the death toll at 3,303
- Railways’ most powerful 12000 HP Made in India locomotive makes maiden commercial run; built by French company Alstom at a factory in Madhepura, Bihar
- Dilip Oommen, CEO of Arcelor Mittal Nippon Steel India, appointed new President of Indian Steel Association (ISA)
- India gives USD 2 million in aid to UNRWA (United Nations Relief and Works Agency) working for the welfare of Palestinian refugees.
- World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that WHO will initiate an independent review into its handling of the
Current Affairs: INDIA
Amphan: Kolkata airport has closed, cargo flight operations suspended due to Cyclone
Cargo and evacuation flight operations at the Kolkata airport have been suspended till 5 am on Thursday due to the Cyclone Amphan. Cyclone is expected to make a landfall between West Bengal & Bangladesh coast this afternoon or evening.
Kolkata: Cargo and evacuation flight operations at the Kolkata airport have been suspended till 5 am on Thursday due to the Cyclone Amphan.
A senior airport official said, “Due to this Amphan cyclone, flight operations at Kolkata airport have been suspended till 5 am of May 21,”
It is likely to weaken and move through Nadia and Murshidabad districts of West Bengal as a cyclonic storm and then into Bangladesh as a deep depression on Thursday morning, the MeT department said. The intensity near the center of the storm was 170 to 180 kmph gusting to 200 kmph, it said.
NABARD released Rs.20,500 Cr to co-operative banks, RRBs
National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development NABARD) released Rs.20,500 cr to co-operative banks and regional rural banks (RRBs) for on-lending. The disbursement to RRBs and Co-operative banks is the part of Rs.25,000 cr of special refinance plan which was approved by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to RRBs, Co-operative banks and Microfinance Institutions (MFIs).
- Of the total, Rs.15,200 crore has been released to cooperative banks and Rs.5,300 crore to RRBs as special liquidity facilities in various states.
- The funds to the co-operative banks and RRBs aims to ensure the availability of liquidity with the Banks to finance farmers for taking up pre-monsoon and Kharif 2020 operations.
- Also, the banks have initiated a program for Kisan credit cards and around 12 lakh new KCC cards have been issued by co-operative banks and RRBs in April 2020.
Madhya Pradesh launched Charan Paduka initiative for migrant laborers
Madhya Pradesh state government launched the Charan Paduka initiative. The first of its kind of initiative is for the migrant laborers passing through the Madhya Pradesh.
Charan Paduka Initiative:
- Under the Charan Paduka campaign, the migrant laborers who are heading back to their native land will be provided shoes and slippers to reduce their pain.
- The campaign is being conducted by the police in most places. It aims to send the laborers to their homes respectfully amid COVID-19.
- The Charan Paduka campaign started from the Rau Police Station of Indore.
- The new initiative to support migrant laborers has spread in many cities of Madhya Pradesh including Damoh, Umaria, and Sagar.
India participated in 73rd WHA
India participated in the 73rd World Health Assembly (WHA) on 18 May. India was represented by Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare through video conference. WHA addressed Global Vaccine Plan, polio eradication, and neglected tropical diseases other than COVID-19.
- On this platform, the health leaders committed to fighting COVID-19 pandemic together, in unity, in solidarity.
- Australia initiated the COVID-19 investigation during the conference. China showed its opposition to investigate.
- The committee decided to work on the transmission routes of the virus to find out the possible host and look for solutions to prevent such outbreaks in the future.
Current Affairs: Tamil Nadu
Uttar Pradesh: 2 migrant workers in Tamil Nadu to peddle 1860 km, cross six states to reach home
Tirupati: Two migrant workers stranded in Tamil Nadu choose to reach their native state Uttar Pradesh on a bicycle. The migrant duo named Sonu and Shailu work as candy sellers in Tamil Nadu’s Arakkonam town and are now returning back to Uttar Pradesh having left with no money to survive in the place.
Current Affairs: International
US Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine: First to show a positive response
The COVID-19 Vaccine by a US-based firm Moderna has become the first to show positive results. The vaccine is considered a huge success because it is the first vaccine that has generated antibodies against the virus.
Major success? The people that were given the dose of mRNA-1273 produced antibodies and also stopped the reproduction of the virus. The levels of antibodies developed were the same as those found in patients that recovered from the virus.
Sun has entered into the deepest period of Sunshine Recession
The sun has reached into a state of ‘solar minimum’. It has been more than 100 days since the sun has shown zero sunspots. The sun is to enter into the deepest period of the ‘sunshine recession’.
Highlights – The cycle of the sun lasts for 11 years. This is called the Solar Cycle. Solar minimum does not mean that the sun becomes dull or its activity reduces. It simply means that the sun is changing forms. The sunspots fade away every 11 years.
Solar Cycle – The Solar Cycle is also called the Solar Magnetic Activity Cycle. It exists for 11 years and is measured in terms of a number of sunspots on the surface. Sunspots were observed in the early 17th century. It was first observed by Galileo Galilei. Under Solar Cycle, the solar maximum and solar minimum refers to the periods of maximum and minimum sunspots respectively.