Welcome to Today’s Current Affairs. This current affair news is useful for Govt jobs Interviews, TNPSC, IAS, UPSC, SSC, Railway, Banking exams IBPS, PO, SO, Clerk, and other all competitive exams for the entire part of the general awareness or general knowledge (GK) section. These daily current affairs 2020 resources provide facts about events of International, National, Political, Social, Banking, Business, Sports, and Entertainment related current affairs.
Latest Govt Jobs CLICK HERE
NATIONAL CHOCOLATE CHIP DAY – On May 15th, we recognize a morsel of a thing on National Chocolate Chip Day! Have you ever wondered how a single ingredient would change a recipe? If it weren’t for one curious baker, it would be hard to imagine where we would be without the invention of chocolate chips.
PEACE OFFICERS MEMORIAL DAY – Every May 15th Peace Officers Memorial Day pays tribute to local, state, and federal law enforcement officers who have made the ultimate sacrifice or been injured in the line of duty. The observance takes place during Police Week.
NATIONAL NYLON STOCKING DAY – Each year on May 15th, we recognize the stylish variety and color available on National Nylon Stocking Day. Varying in color, design, and transparency, a nylon stocking (also known as hose) is a close-fitting, variously elastic garment worn the same as socks or tights.
Top One Line Current Affairs Headlines
- Defense Ministry patents low-cost PPE (personal protective equipment) developed by Navy to move towards its mass production.
- Maharashtra CM Uddhav Thackeray, 8 others declared elected unopposed to the state Legislative Council.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan dedicates COBAS-6800 testing machine for COVID-19 cases to the nation at the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in New Delhi
- The govt will make ration cards portable under ‘One Nation, One Ration Card’ to allow migrant workers to access their ration across the country.
- Scheme to provide homes to migrant labor/urban poor at affordable rent announced. Government-funded housing in the cities will be converted into Affordable Rental Housing Complexes (ARHCs) under the PPP mode through concessionaires.
- Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) under PMAY for middle-income (annual income of Rs 6-18 lakh) families extended till March 2021.
- NABARD (National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development) to provide Rs 30,000 Cr additional emergency working capital funding to rural cooperative banks and regional rural banks.
- UN’s World Economic Situation and Prospects report forecasts 1.2 percent growth for the Indian economy in 2020; –3.2 percent for the world economy.
- Padma Bhushan recipient Professor Anisuzzaman passes away in Bangladesh at the age of 83.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan participates in 32nd Commonwealth Health Ministers’ meeting through video conference.
- Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal participates in 2nd G-20 Virtual Trade and Investment Ministers Meeting through video-conferencing
Current Affairs: INDIA
COBAS 6800: India’s first automated COVID-19 testing machine
The Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan dedicated the COBAS 6800 RT PCR machine to the nation.
Highlights – The machine is completely automated and performs high-end RT-PCR tests. The machine will help to increase the testing capacity of the country. It has been placed at National Centre for Disease Control, Delhi. The machine can also detect pathogens such as Hepatitis, Chlamydia, HIV, Papilloma, MTb, Chlamydia, CMV, Neisseria, etc. The machine will provide high volume tests. It is capable of providing test results of 1,200 samples in 24 hours. Thus, the machine will help in increasing the testing capacity of the country. The machine is enabled with robotics. It will help minimize contamination as it involves very little human intervention. It is the first machine in India that is completely automatic.
Background – The machine was developed by Roche Diagnostics. The main objective of developing the machine is to increase the testing capacity of India. So far India is using the rapid antibody test kits only for surveillance. RT-PCR tests are being used to confirm COVID-19 infection as it is more accurate. However, RT-PCR takes a minimum of 5 to 6 hours to produce results. Therefore, it becomes important to bring more such machines in the country to increase the testing capacity of India.
FAO Report: Global Forest Resources Assessment, 2020
The Food and Agriculture Organization released the Global Forest Resources Assessment Report, 2020. According to the report, around 178 million hectares of forests are lost in the last 30 years. However, the rate at which the forests are being destroyed has reduced.
Report – The report says that between 2015 and 2020, the rate of forest loss has declined to 10 million hectares. Between 2010 and 2015, the forest loss was 12 million hectares. This shows that the rate of forest loss is declining. The Forest Resource Assessment Report has examined the status of forests more than 236 countries and territories between the period 1990 and 2020. Also, the forests in protected areas increased by 191 million hectares since 1990.
Region-Wise – Africa had the largest decline of the forest of all the continents. Around 3.9 million hectares (per year) of forest land were destroyed in the continent between 2000 and 2010. Following Africa, South America faced the largest forest loss at 2.6 million hectares (per year) in the same time period. Europe and Asia had recorded the least forest loss.
MHRD launched e-Governance platform, SAMARTH
Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) has developed an e-Governance platform, SAMARTH Enterprises Resource Planning (ERP), under the National Mission of Education in Information and Communication Technology Scheme (NMEICT).
Aim: – The aim of the e-Governance platform, SAMARTH, is to provide quality education to students across all Universities & Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). The objective of this initiative is to automate the processes of the Institute. This initiative will also enhance productivity through better information management in the institute by seamless access to information, and its utilization for various purposes.
Current Affairs: International
WTO Chief Roberto Azevedo to resign a year before his term expires
The Head of the World Trade Organization (WTO) Roberto Azevedo has announced his resignation, a year before his term expires. He will step down on 31 August 2020.
Roberto Azevedo is a former diplomat from Brazil. He is cutting short a seven-year tenure marked in recent years by intense pressure from US President Donald Trump. He had accused WTO of an anti-US bias and other complaints. Under Azevedo’s leadership, there have been important practical moves towards reform, including through the use of flexible negotiating structures, were done.
Nafed procures Pulses and Oilseeds amid lockdown
National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India (NAFED), under the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, Government of India, procured pulses and oilseeds amid lockdown.
Procurement of crops by NAFED:
- Nafed procured 3.17 Lakh MT Gram (Chana) from 9 States namely Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, and Haryana.
- 3.67 Lakh MT Mustard has been procured from 5 States namely Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, and Haryana.
- 1.86 Lakh MT Toor has been procured from 8 States namely Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, and Odisha.
- In Rabi Marketing Season (RMS) 2020-21, a total of 277.38 Lakh MT wheat is arrived in Food Corporation of India (FCI) out of which 268.90 Lakh MT is purchased.
- In Rabi season 2020-21, a total of 3208 designated procurement centers for Rabi pulses and oilseeds are available in 11 States.
- Also, during the lockdown period around 9.25 crore farmer families have been benefitted and an amount of Rs.18,517 Cr has been released so far.