Welcome to Today’s Current Affairs. This current affair news is useful for Govt jobs Interviews, TNPSC, IAS, UPSC, SSC, Railway, Banking exams IBPS, PO, SO, Clerk, and other all competitive exams for the entire part of the general awareness or general knowledge (GK) section. These daily current affairs 2020 resources provide facts about events of International, National, Political, Social, Banking, Business, Sports, and Entertainment related current affairs.
|Latest Govt Jobs CLICK HERE|
NATIONAL ICE CREAM PIE DAY – On this day, It is observed annually on August 18th. This is the 2nd ice cream holiday in August & it honors a refreshing frozen dessert that comes in many delicious flavors. 1st came putting ice cream on pies. The natural next step would be making ice cream into pies. With all the flavors available, our options are unlimited! Plus, when we figure in the types of crusts to make with ice cream pie, the concept is beyond delightful.
- Indian Foreign Secretary likely to visit Dhaka on Tuesday with message for PM Hasina
- J P Nadda’s ‘Prince of Incompetence’ barb at Rahul Gandhi for his swipe at PM CARES Fund
- J&K L-G reviews progress made under Back to Village programme
- NHRC issues notice to UP govt over alleged gangrape & murder of minor girl in Lakhimpur Kheri
- Development of J&K, Northeast, hilly states priority of Modi govt: Jitendra Singh
- Andhra Pradesh nears 3 lakh-mark in Covid-19 cases, death toll reaches 2,732
- Donald Trump charts arctic drilling rights sale in likely election row
- UK government urges Indians, ethnic minorities to sign up for COVID-19 vaccine trials
- Govt proposes Data Ombudsman, higher penalty for refusal to submit data for key economic stats
- FM Nirmala Sitharaman seeks investment from UAE for Rs 111 lakh cr National Infrastructure Pipeline
- Government extends anti-dumping duty for 3 months on caustic soda from China, Korea
- Par panel likely to submit report on One Nation One Ration Card, housing scheme in Sept
- Resolved power assets can’t service debt as Covid-19 pandemic has reduced demand
- India’s power output rises for the first time in five months in August
- AGR Case: Supreme Court asks Rcom to explain fall in asset valuation from Rs 35,000 crore to Rs 5,304 Cr
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INDIA
President Ram Nath Kovind virtually unveils a portrait of Former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee at ICCR Headquarters
- The President of India Ram Nath Kovind unveiled the portrait of Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee, former Prime Minister of India virtually on his second death anniversary, at the headquarters of the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR).
- From March 1977 to August 1979, the former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee served as the ex-officio President of ICCR, when he was Foreign Minister.
|Indian Council for Cultural Relations(ICCR)||Government office|
|Founder||Abul Kalam Azad|
|Director General||Shri Dineshk Patnaik|
Chattisgarh CM launch Padhai Tuhar Para Scheme for School Students On Independence day
- The Chief Minister of Chattisgarh Bhupesh Baghel has announced the launch of the Padhai Tuhar Para Scheme (Education up to your locality), a new scheme on 15th August, Independence Day. Under the scheme, the students will be able to study in their own neighbourhoods as classes were suspended due to the outbreak of covid-19.
- Padhai Tuhar Para Scheme – Padhai Tunhar Para scheme aims to teach children with the help of the community in the villages.
|Chhattisgarh||A State of India|
|Founded||November 1, 2000|
|Chief minister||Bhupesh Baghel|
Ministry of Tribal Affairs Launched SWASTHYA Portal & ALEKH e-newsletter on Health
- The Ministry of Tribal Affairs launched Tribal Health and Nutrition portal called “SWASTHYA”. Also, the ministry launched the “ALEKH” e-newsletter on health and nutrition.
- About SWASTHYA – The portal is first of its kind. It provides information related to health and nutrition of tribal population in India. It will also act as an integrated source of information about research studies, innovative practices, case studies and best practices that were collected from different parts of the country.
|Ministry of Tribal Affairs Officeholder||Jasvantsinh Sumanbhai Bhabhor (Minister of State)|
|Headquarters||Shastri Bhawan, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Road, New Delhi – 110 011|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Virtual Meeting Between India & Nepal to speed up implementation of projects in the Himalayan nation
- A virtual meeting was held between the Senior diplomats of India and Nepal to review the progress made on various India-aided developmental projects being implemented in the Himalayan nation. The meeting was held virtually due to the covid-19 pandemic. The meeting was the 8th round of talks under the aegis of the India-Nepal Oversight Mechanism.
- The Nepalese side was lead by the Foreign Secretary Shanker Das Bairagi and the Indian side was led by the Ambassador to Nepal Vinay Mohan Kwatra.
- The delegations represented their respective countries during the oversight mechanism meeting.
|Prime minister||KP Sharma Oli|
Malaysia detected a New COVID-19 strain with 10-times more infection rate virus DG14G
- Malaysia has recently detected a new COVID-19 strain that is 10 times more infectious. The mutation of the virus is called DG14G.
- According to the Malaysian Government, the mutation was found in at least three of the 45 case. Also, it started from a restaurant owner who had returned from India. The Govt also reported that he breached his 14 day Home Quarantine.
|Malaysia||Country in Asia|
US Secretary of State Pompeo inks deal to move US troops from Germany to Poland
- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo signed an Enhanced Defence Cooperation Agreement with Poland for the redeployment of American troops from Germany to Poland.
- The deal will also boost other aspects of the bilateral ties like investments and trade.
Mauritius Oil Spill: India deputes 10-member Indian Coast Guard team under Mission SAGAR
- On AUG 16, 2020, India sent 30 tonnes of technical equipment and material to Mauritius. The country is fighting to contain an oil spill that occurred in its pristine south-east coast.
- India has deployed a 10-member Indian Coast Guard team under Mission SAGAR to contain oil spill. Earlier in August 2020, a Japanese bulk carrier struck a coral reef coast of Mauritius that leaked 100s of tonnes of oil in the environment sensitive regions of Mauritius.
|Mauritius||Country in East Africa|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENSE
Defence Ministry to expand National Cadet Corps(NCC) in 173 borders, coastal districts
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh approved a proposal of the National Cadet Corps (NCC) for a major expansion scheme in all the border and coastal districts. A total of 83 NCC units will be upgraded. It includes Army 53, Navy 20, Indian Air Force (IAF) 10. The scheme aims to impart NCC training to the cadets in the border and coastal areas.
- Under the scheme, a total of one lakh cadets from 173 border and coastal districts will be inducted in the NCC.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) opens Quality Control Lab in Porbandar; India misses Sea Food Export Target in 2019-20
- The Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) opened a Quality Control Laboratory in Porbandar. The laboratory is to test seafood processors and exporters.
- The laboratory is to test seafood processors and exporters to make sure their products are safe according to international regulatory requirement. It is equipped with equipment to analyse antibiotic residues and heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, arsenic and mercury. These residues and metals are to be tested tuna, mackerel and also histamine in fish.
|Porbandar||City in Gujarat|