Welcome to Today’s Current Affairs. This current affair news is useful for Govt jobs Interviews, TNPSC, IAS, UPSC, SSC, Railway, Banking exams IBPS, PO, SO, Clerk, and other all competitive exams for the entire part of the general awareness or general knowledge (GK) section. These daily current affairs 2020 resources provide facts about events of International, National, Political, Social, Banking, Business, Sports, and Entertainment related current affairs.
|Latest Govt Jobs CLICK HERE|
NATIONAL JUNK FOOD DAY – On this day, dedicates a giant menu of items to National Junk Food Day. Each year, the day permits us to chow down on the foods we usually don’t include in our daily diet.
- Indian naval ships conduct Passage Exercise (PASSEX) with US Navy near A&N (Andaman and Nicobar) islands in the Indian Ocean.
- Defence Ministry signs contract with BEML for procurement of 1,512 Mine Plough for T-90 tanks.
- Union Minister of Food Processing Harsimrat Kaur Badal e-inaugurates Zoram Mega Food Park in Mizoram.
- Indian direct selling industry records USD 2.47 bn sales in 2019 and ranks 15th globally; US first with sales of USD 35.21 billion.
- Congress losing leaders, will become party of tweets: Prakash Javadekar.
- BJP appoints new chief whips Shiv Pratap Shukla, Rakesh Singh in Rajya Sabha, Lok Sabha
- Covid-19 lockdown takes sheen off Tamil Nadu’s tourism sector, renders ‘lakhs’ jobless.
- Shiv Sena blasts Nepal Armed Force over border firing that left an Indian injured.
- Heavy rain lashes parts of Delhi-NCR.
- Madhya Pradesh Governor Lalji Tandon dies at 85.
- Lalji Tandon passes away at 85, Lucknow loses its favourite son and politician
- Britain suspends its extradition arrangements with Hong Kong.
- Coronavirus impact: LinkedIn cuts 960 jobs as pandemic puts the brakes on corporate hiring.
- EU nations clinch $2.1 trillion budget, coronavirus aid deal after 4 days of wrangling
- UK: Oxford University coronavirus vaccine safe, induces immune response, says Lancet study.
- First World Chess Day celebrated on July 20; International Chess Federation (FIDE) established in Paris on July 20, 1924
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INDIA
India to continue Safeguard Duty on Solar Cells from China, Vietnam and Thailand
- The Directorate General of Trade Remedies announced that the safeguard duty on solar cells imported from China, Vietnam and Thailand will continue for another one year starting from July 31, 2020.
- However, the countries such as Indonesia and Malaysia have been exempted.
- The import duties are to be imposed on all solar cell products whether or not assembled in panels or modules. The existing safeguard duty was imposed on July 2018.
TN Government signs 8 MoUs of Rs 10,399 crores
- The Tamil Nadu State Government signed eight new Memorandum of Understanding of Rs 10,399 crores. The MoUs will bring investments in the areas of solar cells, agrotech, iron foundry and module manufacturing.
- The cumulative investment in the state will generate around 13,507 jobs. The job creation will be in solar cells, industrial parks, data centres, etc.
|Tamil Nadu||It is a South Indian state, is famed for its Dravidian-style Hindu temples|
|Chief minister||Edappadi K. Palaniswami|
Mizoram has inaugurated for 1st Mega Food Park
- The Minister of food Processing Industry Harsimrat Kaur Badal e-inaugurated the first Mega Food Park in Mizoram.
- The Zoram Food Park (non-governmental) inaugurated in Mizoram is to provide employment to 5,000 persons and will benefit 25,000 farmers in primary processing centre and core processing centre. The park is expected to bring an annual turn over of Rs 450-500 crores in about 30 food processing units.
|Minister of food Processing Industry||Government ministry|
|Departments||National Institute of Food Technology Entrepreneurship and Management|
|Officeholders||Niranjan Jyoti (Minister of State), Harsimrat Kaur Badal (Minister)|
Union HRD Minister has launch Manodarpan to provide psychosocial support to students
- Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ is to launch virtually the Manodarpan initiative of Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) 21 July 2020.
- Manodarpan is an initiative under Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan, to provide psychosocial support to students for their Mental Health and Well-being.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
ITUC: India ranked among 10 worst countries for working people
- The International Trade Union Confederation released it ranking of 144 countries on degree of respect for workers’ rights Unfortunately, India was among the least performing 10 countries in the list.
- The other least performing countries include Brazil, Bangladesh, Columbia, Kazakhstan, Honduras, Philippines, Egypt, Zimbabwe and Turkey.
|International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC)||It was established in 2006. It is based in Brussels, Belgium. It was formed on the merger of International Confederation of Free Trade Unions and World Confederation of Labour. India is a member of ITUC.|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENSE
Defence Ministry signed contract with BEML for procurement of 1,512 Mine Plough for T-90 tanks
- Ministry of Defence has signed a contract with Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) for procurement of 1,512 Mine Plough (MP) for Tank T-90 S/SK. The move comes as a major boost to the Make in India initiative of the Government of India. The contract was approved by the Acquisition Wing of MoD.
- The contract was signed at an approximate cost of Rs.557 crore.
|Subsidiaries||Vignyan Industries Limited, BEML (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: ECONOMY
Nomura estimates India’s GDP to contract by 6.1% in FY21, sees no rate cut in August
- Economic activity continues to remain weak and will lead to a 6.1 per cent contraction in India’s GDP in the current fiscal, a foreign brokerage said on Tuesday.
- The Reserve Bank is likely to pause at the upcoming policy review in August and cut rates by 25 basis points each in the October and December reviews, Japanese brokerage Nomura said in a report.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
United Arab Emirates(UAE) has launched mission to Mars
- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has launched its first mission to Mars on 20th July 2020. The UAE is striving to develop its scientific and technology capabilities and move away from its reliance on oil.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: AGRICULTURE
Indian Spices Exports increase by 23%
- The Ministry of Commerce released data on exports. According to the data, the export of spices has increased.
- In June 2020, Indian Spices exports has increased by 23% as compared to the same month in 2019. The exports of spices have earned 359 million USD in June 2020 as compared to 292 million USD in June 2019.
- The spices being exported include pepper, ginger, cardamom, coriander, turmeric, celery, fenugreek, nutmeg, mint and spice oils. The major importers of Indian spices are UAE, France, US, UK, Germany, Australia, Iran, China, Bangladesh and France.
|Ministry of Commerce Departments||Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT)|
|C.R.Chaudhary (Minister of State), Piyush Goyal (Minister), Hardeep Singh Puri (MOS independent charge)|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: TECHNOLOGY
India’s first of its kind public EV Charging Plaza inaugurated by Union Power Minister
- Union Minister for Power, New & Renewable Energy, Shri R.K Singh, inaugurated India’s first public Electric Vehicle (EV) charging plaza at Chelmsford Club in New Delhi on 20 July 2020.
- The move is focused on enhancing energy efficiency and promoting e-mobility. The Minister also launched RAISE. The two initiatives focus on energy efficiency, promoting e-mobility, and improving indoor air quality.
- EESL, in collaboration with New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC), has established India’s first of its kind public EV Charging Plaza in Central Delhi.
|RAISE (Retrofit of Air-conditioning to improve Indoor Air Quality for Safety and Efficiency)||It is a joint initiative of Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) MAITREE programme.|