Welcome to Today’s Current Affairs. This current affair news is useful for Govt jobs Interviews, TNPSC, IAS, UPSC, SSC, Railway, Banking exams IBPS, PO, SO, Clerk, and other all competitive exams for the entire part of the general awareness or general knowledge (GK) section. These daily current affairs 2020 resources provide facts about events of International, National, Political, Social, Banking, Business, Sports, and Entertainment related current affairs.
|Latest Govt Jobs CLICK HERE|
NATIONAL LAZY DAY – On this day, gives us permission to relax and kickback. So, we’re going to be a bit lazy here. As you can see, there is not much information regarding this annually celebrated holiday as we do not feel like doing any research. Actually, we do not feel like doing anything at all. Consequently, we are in our hammocks with a couple of good books and glasses of lemonade and iced tea. Yes, it is a Lazy Day.
NATIONAL S’MORES DAY – On this day, recognizes the most popular campfire treat! Millions of people of all ages love this gooey, toasted treat. S’mores consists of a roasted marshmallow with a layer of chocolate bar sandwiched between two pieces of graham cracker.
- Rahul Gandhi’s objections to draft EIA ‘unnecessary and premature’, says Javadekar
- Railway Museum at Hubballi, Karnataka dedicated to the nation
- Former President Pranab Mukherjee tests positive for COVID-19
- Mumbai becomes the first city to have female icons on traffic signals
- India’s largest crocodile park strapped for cash after coronavirus lockdowns
- Nitin Sethi wins Asian College of Journalism’s Award for Investigative Journalism
- Shiv Sahay Singh wins K. P. Narayana Kumar Memorial Award in journalism
- Kozhikode plane crash: Air India Express says 56 injured passengers discharged from hospitals
- Loss in Karnataka due to floods and torrential so far is estimated to be Rs 3,500-4,000 cr: Minister
- Near-6,000 new Covid-19 cases in Karnataka; state tally rises to 1.78 lakh
- US Health Secretary Alex Azar begins visit to Taiwan
- Afghanistan: Loya Jirga (Parliament) approves release of 400 Taliban prisoners
- Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei launches his twitter handle in Hindi
- New Zealand marks 100 days of coronavirus elimination
- Defence Ministry announces a phased, year-wise embargo on import of 101 items
- India to promote manufacturing of some products to boost market share
- PM releases sixth instalment of funds under PM-KISAN scheme
- National Public Procurement Conclave organized by GeM in association with CII
- Lockdown woes: L&T Metro Rail may invoke force majeure clause for loss of ops in Hyderabad
- Honda Cars India begins pre-launch bookings of new Jazz
- Godfrey Phillips’ cigarette plant located in Navi Mumbai resumes production
- Combination of skilling, AI deployment helping businesses succeed: Microsoft research
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INDIA
Indian Railways is to operate 1st transport dyes to Bangladesh from Gujarat after Chillies from AP
- Indian Railways is to operate 1st parcel special train to Bangladesh under Ahmedabad division. The train is to traverse 2,110 km to reach the Benapole in Bangladesh. The Western Railways sent goods train earlier with loaded wagons of onion to Bangladesh.
- The Western Railway Zone has achieved record by sending a parcel train from Gujarat to Bangladesh. The train is to carry denim cloth, dyes and colours. This is to generate a revenue of Rs 31 lakhs.
|Indian Railways||Railway company|
|Founded||16 April 1853, India|
|Number of employees||13,08,000 (2016-2017)|
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India(FSSAI’s )‘Eat Right India’ movement wins Food System Vision Prize
- On August 9, 2020 FSSAI said it has been awarded the ‘Food System Vision Prize’ by the Rockefeller Foundation of US for its ‘Eat Right India’ movement’s vision, along with nine other finalists.
- Eat Right India’s vision for 2050 aims to create a culture of safe, healthy and sustainable food.
|Agency executive||Rita Teaotia (Chairperson)|
|Parent agency||Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, GoI|
KVIC: 1st Silk Training cum Production Centre in the state of AP
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission is to set up the first of its kind training cum production centre of silk in the state Arunachal Pradesh. The centre has launched in the first week of September, 2020.
- The KVIC will provide machinery such as handlooms, warping drums & silk reeling machines. The centre is to provide training to 25 local artisans and will boost weaving activities in the region.
Andhra Pradesh State of India Governor Biswabhusan Harichandan Chief minister Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
Sri Lanka: Shri Mahinda Rajapaksa Sworn in as New PM
- The former president of Sri Lanka Shri Mahinda Rajapaksa was sworn in as the new prime minister.
- Relationship between India & Sri Lanka is more than 2,500 yrs old. India has given significant importance to the island nation under its “Neighbourhood First Policy”.
Bangladesh: Constructs war memorial for Indian Soldiers killed in 1971
- The Bangladesh Govt is to construct war memorial for Indian soldiers killed in 1971 war. The memorial is to be constructed in Ashuganj, Brahmanbaria bordering Tripura. This is mainly due to its significance in the Liberation War of 1971.
- Bangladesh has a war memorial on the outskirts of Dhaka for all martyrs. However, the proposed memorial is for the Indian soldiers alone. Bangladesh had earlier felicitated Indian soldiers posthumously and had also honoured the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi for their role in the Liberation war.
|Bangladesh||Country in South Asia|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: BUSINESS
India’s Govt to promote manufacturing of selected products to boost market share
- India’s govt plans to promote the manufacturing of selected products, especially lines in which China enjoys a big share in the global market, as part of efforts to reduce imports and push exports, a cabinet minister said on Monday.
- Aims to attract foreign investments in pre-identified areas, promote joint ventures and support local businesses to expand India’s share of global markets, Nitin Gadkari, India’s minister for MSME (micro, small and medium enterprises), told a virtual conference.
|Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises(MSME)||Government ministry|
|Officeholders||Giriraj Singh (MOS independent charge), Nitin Gadkari (Union Minister)|
|Annual budget||6,552.61 crores INR (2018-19 est., US$920 million)|
Swiggy Preparing to launch a quick grocery delivery and household items race with InstaMart
- Banglore: Swiggy is preparing to launch a chain of virtual convenience stores to deliver grocery and household items within 45 minutes, sources told ET, a development that the food app delivery later confirmed.
- The launch of InstaMart comes at a time when the Covid-19 pandemic has hastened consumer preference for doorstep deliveries, especially in metros, and as deep-pocketed entrants, including Flipkart Quick, as well as existing players Amazon, BigBasket and Dunzo have heightened focus on this category.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: ECONOMY
MoD announces a phased, year-wise embargo on import of 101 items of Defence equipment
- Invoking the Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Atmanirbhar Bharat (Self-Reliant India) initiative, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) announced on August 9, 2020 a phased, year-wise embargo on the import of 101 items of defence equipment.
- As an equipment type comes under the import embargo, the military will be required to buy it from Indian defence manufacturers.
Prime Minister Modi was launches new financing scheme under Agriculture Infrastructure Fund
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on August 9, 2020 launched a new financing scheme under the Rs. One lakh Cr Agriculture Infrastructure Fund meant for setting up storage and processing facilities.
- The scheme will support farmers, PACS (primary agricultural credit societies), FPOs (farmer producer organisations), agri-entrepreneurs, etc. in building community farming assets and post-harvest agriculture infrastructure.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Pune based IT firm Persistent Systems’ has announced CEO Chris O’Connor resigns citing personal reasons
- Pune based mid-size IT firm Persistent Systems NSE -1.39 % today announced the resignation of its chief executive officer Christopher O’Connor. He said that he was resigning for personal reasons through a letter dated August 9, 2020.
- His resignation will be effective immediately. O’Connor had taken over as CEO in April 2019 and had since put in a new strategy in place, changing how the different verticals have been structured. He had also brought about changes in the senior management, and some senior managers leave the company during his tenure.