Welcome to Today’s Current Affairs. This current affair news is useful for Govt jobs Interviews, TNPSC, IAS, UPSC, SSC, Railway, Banking exams IBPS, PO, SO, Clerk, and other all competitive exams for the entire part of the general awareness or general knowledge (GK) section. These daily current affairs 2020 resources provide facts about events of International, National, Political, Social, Banking, Business, Sports, and Entertainment related current affairs.
|Latest Govt Jobs CLICK HERE|
Download Free Weekly Current Affairs (July 19 to July 25). pdf
NATIONAL CREAMSICLE DAY – On this day, celebrates the creamy citrus dessert on a stick. During the height of the summer, what better way to enjoy refreshment than with a creamsicle! It consists of vanilla ice cream on a Popsicle stick with an outer coating of sherbert. While many other flavors now exist, the original flavor was orange.
- India-Australia friendship based on Bharosa, Samman: Australian PM Scott Morrison
- Former President Pranab Mukherjee continues to be on ventilator support
- Supreme Court holds lawyer Prashant Bhushan guilty of contempt for tweets against judiciary
- Medical Council of India’s decision on PoK colleges not to impact students
- Naga political issue: NSCN-IM holds ‘informal’ talks with GoI sans RN Ravi
- Supreme Court refuses to stay BSP-Congress ‘merger’ in Rajasthan, leaves it to High Court
- Factional feuds: Congress has 3 simmering hotspots in Mumbai, Jharkhand, Punjab
- In Bihar’s ruling alliance war of words continues, BJP Silent
- TikTok & its employees prepare to fight Donald Trump over app ban
- The Wholesale price-based inflation falls 0.58 per cent in July 2020, food prices spike
- Highway stretches may be offered for as low as Rs 1,500 crore to attract domestic companies
- India-backed Maldives infrastructure project to surpass scope of Chinese-funded bridge
- Faceless tax assessment to promote transparency, empower honest taxpayers: India Inc
- IndiGo’s Hyderabad-Aurangabad flight from Aug 19: Official
- Top shadow lender Shriram City turns cautious, cuts loans to its most prized customers by 99%
- Indian drug companies seek cure for Donald Trump’s ‘Buy-American’ plan
- Auto majors back retail sales numbers, SIAM to stick with wholesale
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INDIA
Assam State Govt has launched Orunodoi scheme for womens financial empowerment
- Assam State Govt launched “Orunodoi scheme”, a mega scheme for women’s financial empowerment. Under the mega scheme, a district-wise selection of beneficiaries will begin from August 17.
- The beneficiaries will receive the amount in the bank account of a female family member on the first day of every month. The scheme will begin from the month of October 2020.
- The scheme will provide Rs.830 per month each to 17 lakh poor families under the ambitious “Orunodoi” scheme.
|Assam||A state in northeastern India|
|Chief minister||Sarbananda Sonowal|
Lok Sabha officials to started beginner-level course in French
- Lok Sabha has started a beginner-level course in French for the officials of the Lok Sabha Secretariat at the Parliament House. More than 57 officials have registered for the course.
- The course was launched as it is considered to interconnect the world and is a necessary skill for success in different fields. The move comes as the language brings people together and helps improve their efficiency and skill as languages enrich and bring people together.
|Parliamentary Research and Training Institute for Democracies (PRIDE)||It was established in 1976. It was aimed to provide training to parliamentary staff, officials, & other parliamentarians in various disciplines of parliamentary institutions. It conducts various activities including orientation programmes, round table discussions, & lectures for Members of Parliament (MP).|
MoTA launched Online performance Dashboard “Empowering Tribals, Transforming India”
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) unveiled the Online Performance Dashboard “Empowering Tribals, Transforming India”. The platform was launched by Amitabh Kant, CEO, NITI Aayog and Shri Ramesh Chand, Member NITI Aayog.
- Empowering Tribals, Transforming India Performance Dashboard is an interactive and dynamic online platform.
- The platform showcases updated & real-time details of 11 schemes and initiatives of the MoTA for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
|Ministry of Tribal Affairs Officeholder||Jasvantsinh Sumanbhai Bhabhor (Minister of State)|
|Headquarters||Shastri Bhawan, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Road, New Delhi – 110 011|
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways announced sales of Electric Vehicles without BATTERIES
- The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways announced that the Electric Vehicles shall be sold and registered without pre-fitted batteries. This will reduce cost of Electric Vehicles by 50 percent.
- The step is being introduced by GoI as the batteries make the Electric Vehicles highly expensive than the combustion engines. If the cost of the batteries is delinked from that of the vehicles, their cost would be far less than that of the fossil-fuel powered vehicles.
AMRUT Scheme Ranking: Odisha continues to be the Top Performer
- The Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs recently released ranking of states under AMRUT scheme. Odisha has secured first position by scoring 85.67%.
- AMRUT is Atal Mission for Rejuvenation & Urban Transformation Scheme. The scheme aims to provide piped water supply to households in urban areas of the state. It also aims at construction of sewerage treatment plants and improving green spaces in the cities.
Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs Departments National Institute of Urban Affairs Officeholders Hardeep Singh Puri (Union Minister), Narendra Singh Tomar (Union Minister)
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INTERNATIONAL
China extends anti-dumping Tariff on Indian Fibre Optic Product
- The Ministry of Commerce announced that China is extending anti-dumping tariff on fibre optic products made in India.
- The tariff is to take effect on august 14, 2020 and is to last for five years. The tariffs are to range between 7.4% and 30.6%. Earlier china had slapped anti-dumping tariff on Indian products five years till August 2019 and had then reviewed.
|Ministry of Commerce Departments||Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT)|
India extends ONE million USD to Antigua & Barbuda to combat COVID-19
- India extended 1 million USD to Antigua and Barbuda to combat COVID-19 outbreak. This is aimed at improving health infrastructure in the country.
- India has also offered same level of assistance, that is, 1 million USD to each of Caribbean Community under CARICOM. CARICOM is a group of 20 developing countries in the Caribbean region.
- Under the 1 million USD assistance, the countries are to be assisted with disposable impervious gowns, full cover goggles, ventilators, face shields, examination gloves, disposable masks, etc. Also, Antigua and Barbuda are to receive 10,000 Hydroxychloroquine tablets.
CURRENT AFFAIRS: DEFENSE
Defence Minister inaugurated HAL-IISc skill development centre in Karnataka
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the HAL-IISc Skill Development Centre (SDC) established at the Indian Institute of Science’s Challakere campus in Chitradurga district, Karnataka through a video conference on 13 Aug 2020. The SDC proves the synergistic collaboration between HAL and IISc.
- The centre is aimed to impart skills to various beneficiaries ranging from local community members to high-end engineering professionals to usher true ‘Make-in-India’.
|Karnataka||State of India|
|Chief minister||B. S. Yediyurappa|
|Capital||Bengaluru (Executive Branch)|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: TECHNOLOGY
Israel successfully tests advanced missile defense system Arrow-2 interceptor
- Israel successfully conducted a flight test of the Arrow-2 interceptor on 13 August 2020. Israel’s multi-layered aerial defense systems have been designed to stand a war if the country is targeted with massive missile fire.
- Arrow-2 system is a part of the multi-layered system Israel.
- The System is developed to defend against both short- and mid-range rockets.
National Aeronautics & Space Administration(NASA) Planet Hunter TESS finds 66 new Exoplanets
- The planet hunter of NASA called the TESS (Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite) has found 66 new Exo planets. TESS is Transitioning Exoplanet Survey Satellite. It scanned about 75 percent of the starry sky during its mission.
- The planet hunter TESS monitors monitored the sky for about a month using four cameras. The mission has been extended till Sep 2022. The mission is to further explore along the ecliptic orbit plane of the earth around the sun.
|NASA Headquarters||Washington, D.C., United States|
|Founder||Dwight D. Eisenhower|
|Founded||Oct 1, 1958, United States|
CURRENT AFFAIRS: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Chinese phone maker Xiaomi’s India arm pledges 2,500 smartphones to support online education wo affected COVID-19 pandemic
- Chinese smartphone major Xiaomi on Thursday said its arm MI India will distribute 2,500 handsets worth Rs 2 Cr to support online education of children who are worst affected by the COVID-19 pandemic in the country.
- “MI India distribution and retails came up with a fantastic idea. Together they will be contributing 2,500 smartphones to enable children most impacted by the pandemic to access quality education. In this endeavour we found the right partner Teach for India who is committed to the cause,” its chief operating officer Muralikrishnan B said in an online video.