Welcome to Today’s Current Affairs. This current affair news is useful for Govt jobs Interviews, TNPSC, IAS, UPSC, SSC, Railway, Banking exams IBPS, PO, SO, Clerk, and other all competitive exams for the entire part of the general awareness or general knowledge (GK) section. These daily current affairs 2020 resources provide facts about events of International, National, Political, Social, Banking, Business, Sports, and Entertainment related current affairs.
- 1 Today Current Affairs Headlines
- 1.1 The economic decline of 2.7 percent expected in APEC region post-COVID-19 pandemic
- 1.3 · Several initiatives are taken by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and public sector undertakings (PSUs) namely Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC) and Bharat Immunologicals and Biologicals Corporation Limited (BIBCOL).
- 1.4 · Also, at least half a dozen candidate vaccines are being supported of which four are in an advanced stage.
- 1.5 As per the guidelines, the relative humidity in the building or room should be maintained between 40% and 70% and ventilate with outdoor air.
- 1.6 WORLD:
- 1.7 International Dance Day is celebrated on 29 April
Today Current Affairs Headlines
Central Vigilance Commission (CVC)
- CVC Former Andhra Bank MD & CEO Suresh N. Patel appointed as the vigilance commissioner in Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) for a tenure up to Dec 2022.
- The tenure of vigilance commissioner is of 4 years or till the incumbent attains the age of 65 years.
- With Patel’s appointment, the commission will be in its full strength.
- The CVC can have a central vigilance commissioner and two vigilance Commissioners.
- While Sanjay Kothari is the Central Vigilance Commissioner, Sharad Kumar is the other vigilance commissioner.
- Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) permits Aadhaar updation facility through Common Service Centres (CSCs)
- Asian Development Bank approves USD 1.5 billion loan to India to help fund its response to the novel coronavirus pandemic.
- Moody’s Investors Service cuts India growth forecast for calendar year 2020 to 0.2% from 2.5% projected in March; 2021 growth forecast at 6.2%.
- Axis Bank to increase its stake in Max Life Insurance to 30%, remaining 70% to be held by Max Financial Services in the joint venture.
The economic decline of 2.7 percent expected in APEC region post-COVID-19 pandemic
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) has reported Secretariat stated that the APEC region is expected to post a 7% economic decline in 2020 due to the impact of COVID-19.
Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) – APEC was started in 1989. The regional economic forum was established to leverage the growing interdependence of the Asia-Pacific. The 21 APEC countries comprise of Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Peru, the Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, the US, and Vietnam. since the near-zero growth rate logged in 2009.
COVID Action Collab – Experts to create a strategy to test sewage for COVID-19 follows
- A multi-disciplinary expert group COVIDActionCollab (CAC) is developing a protocol to test sewage for COVID-19 traces in selected densely populated urban residential areas of Bengaluru and Kolkata.
- The idea was initiated by the social enterprise platform Catalyst Group.
India will produce indigenous RT-PCR kits by end of May
- India is set to create indigenous rapid testing and RT-PCR diagnostic kits by the end of May.
- The information was passed by the Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
Indigenous RT-PCR diagnostic kits:
· Several initiatives are taken by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and public sector undertakings (PSUs) namely Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC) and Bharat Immunologicals and Biologicals Corporation Limited (BIBCOL).
· Also, at least half a dozen candidate vaccines are being supported of which four are in an advanced stage.
- A multi-pronged research procedure and activity plan for a prompt reaction and for long haul readiness to handle the pandemic is in progress.
- Several sorts of research for the development of candidate vaccines, therapeutics, and suitable animal models for COVID-19 and the development of indigenous diagnostics and genomic studies on the host and pathogen are being processed.
- BIRAC has reported a COVID-19 research consortium call to support diagnostics, vaccines, novel therapeutics, and repurposing of drugs among other interventions to contain COVID-19 spread.
- DBT has created many computational strategies to predict the potential antiviral drug molecules.
- Surrogates of the virus are being developed representing one or more critical steps in the virus life cycle and inhibitors are being tested.
- Research to isolate neutralizing antibodies either from the patients recovered from COVID-19 or from human antibody libraries are being experimented. All the researchers are also conducting several experiments to discover a vaccine for COVID-19.
- Central Public Works Department (CPWD) has issued guidelines on using the central air-conditioners in public buildings during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The move comes as per the guidance of Delhi High Court. The guidelines were the Indian Society of Heating Refrigerating and Air Conditioner Engineers (ISHRAE).Guidelines:
- As per the guidelines, the air-conditioning systems be disinfected and cleaned and humidity levels maintained at all times.
- The guidelines were issued with an aim to counter the fact use of air conditioners that might lead to increased spread of COVID-19.
- The air filters should be cleaned often.
- The ideal temperature of the room should be maintained between 24 degree Celsius and 30 degrees Celsius.
As per the guidelines, the relative humidity in the building or room should be maintained between 40% and 70% and ventilate with outdoor air.
- India loses hosting rights of the 2021 men’s world boxing championship to Serbia.
- The former Brighton and Liverpool striker Michael Robinson passed away on 28 April.
- He was 61-years-old. He was diagnosed with skin cancer in 2018.
- Robinson helped Liverpool squad to win the league title, European Cup and League Cup with the Reds in 1983-84. He also played for Preston, Manchester City, Brighton, and Queens Park Rangers club.
- In the year 1989, he completed his career with La Liga club Osasuna, the Spanish football team. He had an award-winning broadcasting career in Spain Robinson has won 24 caps in total for the Republic of Ireland, scoring four goals.
International Dance Day is celebrated on 29 April
International Dance Day is celebrated on 29 April. The day is observed to appreciate the art form. It supports cooperation and training in the move.
- The day is celebrated with people from all over the world contributing to dance.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it is imperative that people stay at homes and celebrate International Dance Day from their homes.
International Financial Services Centre Authority established by GoI
- The Government of India has established the International Financial Services Centre Authority. The headquarters of the authority is to be established in Gandhi Nagar, Gujarat.
- The Authority was established through a notification. The notification issued by the GoI brings into effect certain effects of the IFSCA Act, 2019. The authority will regulate financial markets in the International Financial Service Centres in India.
- The main function of the authority is to regulate financial products such as contracts of insurance, deposits, securities of the financial institutions that have been approved by regulators.
International Financial Services Centres Authority
- The authority consists of 9 members that are appointed by the Government of India.
- The members are to have a term of three years. The members include Chairperson, two members from the Ministry of Finance, one each from RBI, SEBI, IRDAI and PFRDA and two members based on the recommendation of the search committee
International Financial Service Centre(IFSC)
- The IFSC will provide fundraising services to corporates, individuals, and governments.
- It will also look into global tax management, wealth management, merger, risk management operations, etc.
- The IFSCA will act as a unified authority to the IFSCs in India. This will reduce the burden of other multiple regulators such as SEBI, RBI, and IRDAI.
- This is because of all the insurance, capital markets are currently being regulated by them.