Welcome to Today’s Current Affairs. This current affair news is useful for Govt jobs Interviews, TNPSC, IAS, UPSC, SSC, Railway, Banking exams IBPS, PO, SO, Clerk, and other all competitive exams for the entire part of the general awareness or general knowledge (GK) section. These daily current affairs 2020 resources provide facts about events of International, National, Political, Social, Banking, Business, Sports, and Entertainment related current affairs.
Latest Govt Jobs CLICK HERE
MAY 2 – International Astronomy Day is celebrated twice a year. one in autumn & another in spring. The Astronomy Day 2020 was celebrated on May 2. The next Astronomy Day will be celebrated on Sep 26.
On this day, astronomical institutions, museums, societies, and planetariums organize seminars, workshops & other fun-filled activities to spread awareness about the world of astronomy.
Today Current Affairs Headlines
LOCKDOWN EXTENSION: COVID-19
- Home Ministry announces extension of lockdown for a further period of 2 weeks with effect from 4th May.
- The Guidelines have issued that to regulate different activities in this period, based on the risk profiling of the districts of the country into Red (hotspot), Green, and Orange Zones.
- The guidelines permit considerable relaxations in the districts falling in the Green and Orange Zones.
- Foundation day of Gujarat and Maharashtra was celebrated on May 1, 2020. The two states were formed after the enactment of the Bombay Reorganisation Act, 1960.
- Five more States/UTs (Bihar, UP, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, and Daman & Diu) join the ‘One Nation-One Ration Card’ system.
- Now 17 States/UTs are under this system.
- This system enables beneficiaries to obtain foodgrains under NFSA (National Food Security Act) from any Fair Price Shop in the country using the same ration card.
- Cricket: Australia bans use of saliva, sweat to shine ball under COVID-19 guidelines
India lost top spot in the ICC Test rankings to Australia
India lost the top spot in the ICC Test rankings to Australia on 1 May. It lost the rank because of the 2016-17 record was eliminated from the annual update as per rules.
- India has dropped in the ladder largely because the record of 12 Tests victories & just one Test defeat in 2016-17 was removed in the latest chart. Australia, the top-ranking country, now has 116 points.
- It is followed by New Zealand with 115 points and India with 114 points. India has yielded the top spot in Test rankings for the first time since Oct 2016. It continues to lead the ICC World Test Championship.
International Current Affairs
- The US space agency NASA has partnered with SpaceX, Blue Origin and Dynetics to build lunar landing systems that can carry astronauts to the moon by 2024. The mission is accelerated under the space agency’s Moon-to-Mars campaign.
- NASA is planning for a long-term presence on Moon so that it will eventually enable humans to reach Mars. For this campaign, NASA is leaning heavily on private companies built around shared visions for space exploration.
China’s coronavirus cases drop to one
NEW DELHI: Fruit and vegetable prices remain stable even though supplies in the Delhi’s Azadpur mandi have fallen because of restricted inter-state movement, particularly from Haryana.
200 more mandis added to eNAM
NEW DELHI: The government has connected 200 new mandis across seven states to its national digital agricultural trading platform — eNAM — taking the total tally of eNAM enabled mandis to 785.
By the end of the month, 1,000 mandis would be connected with the platform, Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar said while launching the services on Friday.