Dear all, We are providing The Hindu Vocabulary to get good marks in the English section in Bank PO, SO, SSC, and every single Competitive Exam. The Readers we have given English vocabulary passage along with the meaning, synonyms, Antonyms, and usages of hard words to make use of it and also you can learn more new words so that you can develop your vocabulary. This will help you to understand the passage clearly.
- Tottering (Verb) “A Hunched figure tottering down the part”
Meaning – Move in a feeble or unsteady way
Synonyms – Teeter, walk unsteadily, stagger
Antonyms – Stable, Steady, Strong
- Paramount (Adjective) “The interests of the child are of paramount importance”
Meaning – More important than anything else; supreme
Synonyms – most important, of greatest importance, of prime importance
Antonyms –Least, Last, Inferior
- Outlay (Noun) – “A Modest outlay local advertising”
Meaning – An amount of money spent on something
Synonyms –Expenditure, Expenses, Spending
Antonyms – Blessing, Boon, Income
- Perilous (Adjective) “a perilous journey south”
Meaning – A full of danger or risk
Synonyms – dangerous, fraught with danger, hazardous
Antonyms – Safe, Secure
- Detract (Verb) “There quibbles in no way detract from her achievement”
Meaning – Diminish the worth or value(a Quality or achievement)
Synonyms – belittle, take away from, diminish
Antonyms – Enhance
6. Abrupt (Verb) “I was surprised by the abrupt change of subject.”
Meaning – Sudden and unexpected.
Synonyms – Immediate, Instantaneous, Hasty
Antonyms – Gradual, Unhurried, Friendly, Polite, Expansive
7. Impediment (Verb) “In a number of developing countries, war has been an additional impediment to progress.”
Meaning – A hindrance or obstruction in doing something.
Synonyms – Hindrance, Obstruction, Obstacle, Barrier
Antonyms – Benefit
8. Crippling (Verb) “A crippling attack of malaria kept him in bed for months.”
Meaning – Causing a person to become unable to walk or move properly.
Causing a severe and almost insuperable problem.
Causing serious injuries or harm.
Synonyms – Disable, Incapacitate, Lame, Maim, Mutilate
Antonyms – Boost
9. Staggering (Verb) “It costs a staggering Rs 50,000 per week to keep the museum open to the public.”
Meaning – Deeply shocking.
Synonyms – Astonishing.
Antonyms – Dull, Mundane, Unexceptional, Enervating, Monotonous
10. Inevitable (Verb) “The accident was the inevitable consequence of carelessness.”
Meaning – Certain to happen.
Synonyms – Unavoidable, Inescapable
Antonyms – Avoidable, Uncertain